Welcome to Mrs. Princing's Class!
(6th Grade Reading and Writing)
"The man who does not read good books has no advantage
over the man who can not read them."
• Fifth and Sixth grade will provide students with a balanced literacy approach to learning reading and writing. They will be provided with numerous opportunities to enhance their critical thinking skills, their reading comprehension, and their reading fluency, as well as their writing skills through reading and writing workshop.
• Technology will be integrated into the curriculum through use of the SMARTboard, ELMO, power points, and connected websites.
• Students will learn to master the writing process from generating and collecting numerous ideas to publishing and celebrating their writing successes!
• Test preparation for the NJSLA is woven throughout all elements of instruction.
• A multiple intelligences, differentiated approach is used in an effort to address all learning needs and learning styles.
• All grades are based on a point system. Points earned for each assignment will be divided by the total possible points to determine the final grade.
• Being successful in the 5th and 6th grade is vital to success in high school. Therefore, preparation for high school is a high priority. Students will be guided and expected to write extensively. As the year progresses, students are expected to assume increasing degrees of independence and responsibility.
TIPS FOR SUCCESS
** Show a desire to succeed. Work consistently and efficiently. Students with a strong work ethic will experience a sense of satisfaction, accomplishment, and pride.
** Show respect for classmates, teachers, property, and yourself, of course. All you really need to do is treat other people the way you want to be treated. Disrupting class is disrespectful and indicates a lack of full participation. Therefore, any student disrupting class will lose participation points. Naturally, the overall grade for the quarter will be negatively affected.
** Complete all assignments on time.
• Missing and late homework will negatively affect your grade.
• All work missed due to absence from class MUST be made up in a TIMELY manner.
** Be prepared for class each and every day. Have ALL required materials.
** Be organized. This can only help you achieve your goals.
** Follow all classroom rules.
CLASS PARTICIPATION COUNTS TOWARDS YOUR REPORT CARD GRADE. IT INCLUDES MEANINGFUL ACTIVE PARTICIPATION, ACTIVE LISTENING, FOCUS, ATTENTIVENESS, AND RESPECT FOR YOUR CLASSMATES AND TEACHER! IT DOES AFFECT YOUR GRADE!
MOST IMPORTANTLY, RELAX AND ENJOY OUR CLASS!
Name: Laurie Princing
Phone: 201 (768-6363)
Room Number: Room 105
Extra Help: Monday-Wednesday 3:00 - 3:30